Monday, February 15, 2010

Six Flags Reading Contest

Through school, both of the boys are participating in the Six Flag Six Hours of Reading contest. They have to read for 6 hours (360 minutes) to get a free ticket to Six Flags to be used this summer. Joey was so excited that he read like crazy and finished his Six Hours in record time. I think he was the first kid to turn in his reading log to the library. If I remember right, he did it in 7 days. I'm so proud of him.

Josh is taking longer, of course. The time has to be in addition to their regular homework reading and Josh really only has the reading stamina to read his homework and sometimes not even that. We have struggled and struggled and, as of yesterday, he had read 183 minutes...which alone is awesome for him. I reread the instructions and they say that my reading to him would count towards the total. I had wanted him to be able to do this himself. But I think that was too lofty of a goal for a struggling reader. So, last night I told him that my reading to him would count as well. We sat down and I read a long story and then he read a short story and then I read a long story. We logged 38 minutes yesterday...but even with me reading he loses interest and can't stand much more. The contest ends on February 24th...I'm sure we will make it. At this point, we need to read about 15 minutes every day until the deadline to make it. WE CAN DO IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment