Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mornings

Most days we have a really hard time getting out the door to go to school. Josh asked to get up a bit earlier than Joey to give himself time to get ready, so I've of course obliged. Josh gets up at 6:35am and Joey gets up at 6:55am. But Joey still gets ready faster. Josh just can't seem to stay on course. We need to leave by 7:25am. They need to make their beds, eat breakfast, get dressed and brush their teeth...then put on shoes and get in the car. Eating breakfast can take Josh anywhere from 4 minutes to 30 minutes depending on his mood. I wish I could identify the specific circumstances that are in alignment when he gets ready in 10 minutes and comes in my room to chat before going down to put his shoes on. But I don't see any difference in those days than the ones that cause such an opposite reaction.

My new plan...as of today...is to try to get home from work earlier as often as possible to give us more time between getting home and Josh's bedtime. Then, I'll add some time for Josh and I to prepare him for the next day. We'll set out clothes and put everything in his backpack and put his backpack and coat in the car. My friend, Kraig, tells his daughter every night before bed "now remember, no fussing in the morning, right?" and she agrees each night. He says it's worked wonders. But she's two years old. Maybe I'll try it...it can't hurt, can it?

Anyone with any other ideas? What's worked for you?

1 comment:

  1. I was reading a book and it said to use a timer when eating. set the timer for 20 minutes and if they are done great if not then its time to get down. you can leave the food at the table. They go and do what needs to be done and if there is time left before you have to leave and they are still hungry then they can go back to the food until its time to leave.

    ReplyDelete