Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chess Club

When the boys first started school, I received tons of paperwork to read, sign, fill-out, throw out, etc. One of the papers was about Chess Club. When I read it, I kind of laughed...but I wasn't going to make these types of decisions for them. I read the paper to them including the fact that Chess Club would meet on Tuesday mornings at 7am so they would have to wake up super early on those days. They both jumped up and down and said they really, really, really wanted to join the Chess Club. Really? Chess Club? Well, of course they do. They want to do EVERYTHING offered. Plus they have a floor size Chess set at daycare and perhaps that would be more fun to play with if they knew how. The funny thing was that we had to turn in the forms, and we would be notified later if they "made it" as they could only take 50 or so kids. Shocked me that they thought more than 50 kids would want to join Chess Club, but what do I know? Evidently nothing. They both made it, but the Chess Club is packed!! Ok, not really anymore, but it was at first. As with most things, the population wanes as time passes. They still LOVE Chess Club and we go every single Tuesday! They can't actually play chess yet but they can play many beginner type games on the board that is teaching them the pieces and how each can move. It's awesome for their logic and learning and I regret my skepticism. Luckily I kept my thoughts to myself. My new thoughts are much more postive!

No comments:

Post a Comment