Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Do We Have A Maid?

We were sitting at Schlotzsky's having lunch on December 27th when Josh said, "Do we have a maid?"

I answered, "Yes."

He sat quietly thinking for a minute, then he said, "Seemed like it was the same guy who took our order that made our sandwiches."

I sat quietly thinking for a minute, then I said, "I don't understand, sweetie." Then it hit me, "Are you asking if we have a waitress?" He got very excited and replied, "Yes, that's what I mean...Do we have a waitress?"

We discussed how they hadn't been to any restaurants with waitresses before they came to live with me, so they aren't really very familiar with the word. They only ate at Jack In The Box and at home with their biological family. Then they just ate at home and drive-thru fast food restaurants in foster care.

The first time we ate in a sit-down restauarant was Waterloo Ice House and I remember them mentioning what a nice restaurant it was. Now, nothing against Waterloo, but I don't think of it as a really "nice" place...I don't even think they are going for "nice". But it does have waitresses and you do pay a check.

This day at Schlotzsky's reminded me again what a huge change coming to live with me has been for the boys and how remarkably smoothly it's gone. As a matter of fact, they handled eating in "nice" restaurants so well that it's easy for me to forget they haven't been doing it for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment