Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Drowning in Christmas Presents

I know it sounds ungrateful and I am anything but ungrateful, and yet...the boys are getting WAY too many toys right now. I remember hearing in Pride training that they would get a bunch of toys for their first Christmas with me...but I guess I didn't know what that meant. To add to it, Josh's birthday just passed, so he's just been showered with presents.

Now we have Christmas and I can't even believe what we are receiving. My adoption agency had a Christmas party and they each received 3 packages which each held at least 3 toys. That was about 9 toys each at that one party. Then CPS is sending them each a large box filled with toys which I should receive in a few days. Everyone in my family has been anxiously awaiting our first Christmas together and none of us is very good at self-control when it comes to giving presents. And on top of that, Santa's been told where we'll be spending the night on Christmas Eve!

Both Josh and Joey have practically emptied their toy bins into our Charity bin in anticipation of the rush of new toys. I'm particularly appreciative of that because I don't know where we'd put them all if they hadn't. I'm not sure it was done in a truly giving spirit, but whatever. This is going to be a fun Christmas morning and everyone in my family has been excited about having kids there to open presents for...well, for years. My sister and I have been happily filling the kid role for 40 plus years, but we are just as eager to step aside and watch some new blood ravish the wrapping paper.

On the other hand, I don't want to raise spoiled children. I want them to understand the true meaning of Christmas. I want them to value family time and cherish the spirit of giving. And I want them to understand that Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birth and what that means to them. They each have a strong belief in God and they are beginning to understand that Jesus came to offer us salvation. But, that's a pretty heavy concept for kids. So, for now...they really love Santa and presents and pie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment