Monday, October 26, 2009

Getting better?

Yesterday while we were eating dinner, I asked Josh and Joey if they could name one thing that is better here than at Mimi’s house…the foster home. I knew at the time that it was probably a really bad idea to ask this, but I did it anyway. Josh said “You like cartoons and Mimi doesn’t, so that’s better.” And Joey said, “Well, that was the country and this is the city, but there’s more room here. More room inside and more room outside. So, we can ride our bicycles and stuff.” I said, “Very good.” Then I asked if they could name one thing that is better here than at their dad’s apartment. Josh immediately said, “No, nothing is better here than with our dad. Everything was better with him.” I just nodded and smiled slightly. Then Joey said, “That’s not true. You don’t spank us. And we don’t have to eat the same thing all the time. We ate Romen like every day. That’s better here.” And I said, “Ok, good.” I explained that I’m not trying to compete with either of those places, but that it helps me to know what they are enjoying here. Then I asked if they feel safe here. They both said they feel safer here than they had at their dad’s or at Mimi’s. Joey went on to say that the first night they spent here he remembered feeling safer in his new bedroom than he could remember feeling…ever.

1 comment:

  1. Love reading that. Makes me so happy for you all... keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete